The Fortress of Maputo is located next to the Fishing Port in 25 de June Square and represents one of the main historical monuments of the city. It has a quadrangular plant, erected in masonry of reddish stone. It has only one access gate that opens to a central patio, also of quadrangular plan, to which, in turn, open the various rooms that make up the building. In this courtyard, the equestrian statue of Mouzinho de Albuquerque is erected, which, before the Independence of Mozambique, was in front of the Municipality of Lourenço Marques. The remains of Ngungunhane, transferred from Terceira Island in the Azores in 1985, are also found here. The primitive structure at the site was a fortified trading post erected about a quarter of a mile from the mouth of the Espírito Santo river by Dutch people from the City of Cable. The expedition consisted of 113 men, under the command of Klaas Nieuhof, on two ships, the "Gouda" and the "Caap". Having left the Cape on February 19, 1721, they reached Maputo Bay in early April. Obtained the authorization of the local chief, they began a fort of wood, of pentagonal plant: the Forte Lagoon. With difficulties of all sorts, in about six months, about half of Europeans had perished mainly from malaria. Even before the arrival of reinforcements, coming from the Cape by the ships "Zeelandia" and "Uno", bringing another 72 men and supplies, the panorama did not change. On the morning of April 11, 1722, three British pirate ships under Captain George Taylor, operating in the waters of the Mozambique Channel, entered Maputo Bay, pursued by four ships of the English East India Company, the "Lion "," Salisbury "," Exeter "and" Shoreham ". The pirate ships were the "Victory", with 64 cannons, the "Cassandra" with 36, and a French boat captured off the island of Santa Maria (now Madagascar). In all, they had a herd of 900 men. On April 18, they decided to capture the Dutch factory, which they began to bomb, capturing a boat and the ship "De Caap", until at 5 o'clock in the afternoon the white flag of the surrender was lifted. Knowing that Van de Capelle, the second in command, had escaped into the interior with eighteen men, the British demanded their immediate return, otherwise they would destroy the establishment. Without the Dutch returning, the fort and factory were destroyed by the English, who retired two months later at the end of June.