The Majorelle gardens are a complex of botanical and landscaped gardens located in Marrakech, Morocco. The garden complex was designed by the French artist Jacques Majorelle in 1931, during the colonial period. In 1919 the French painter Jacques Majorelle (1886-1962) (son of Louis Majorelle) settled in the medina (old city, historical center) of Marrakech and fell in love with it. In 1922 he bought a palm grove in the north-west of the medina, and in 1931 commissioned architect Paul Sinoir to build a Moorish-style villa. His house was on the first floor, while on the ground floor there was a large studio for his activities as an artist. As a lover of botany, he created his botanical garden inspired by traditional Moroccan gardens, the end result was a lush tropical garden around his villa, an impressionist garden, a cathedral of shapes and colors, centered on a long central basin with various different environments , where hundreds of birds nest. This garden is a living work of art in motion, with exotic plants and rare species, and adorned with fountains, ponds, fountains, ceramic pots, paths, pergolas. In 1937 the artist created the Majorelle blue, an ultramarine / cobalt blue which at the same time was intense and clear, with which he painted the walls of his villa, and the whole garden, which he opened to the public in 1947. Following an accident of car, Majorelle returned to Paris, where he died in 1962. The garden was then abandoned for many years. Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé discovered the garden in 1966, during their first stay in Marrakech, remaining enchanted by the structure. They bought the garden in 1980. The new owners decided to live in the artist's house, renamed Villa Oasis, and undertook extensive restoration work. The ashes of Yves Saint Laurent were scattered in the rose garden of the Villa Oasis, and a memorial in his honor was erected in the garden. On November 27, 2010, Princess Lalla Salma, wife of the King of Morocco Muhammad VI, inaugurated the Yves Saint Laurent et le Maroc exhibition, with the creation of the Yves Saint Laurent street. On 3 December 2011, the Berber museum was inaugurated on the ground floor of the villa, in the presence of French Minister of Culture Frédéric Mitterrand. Today the garden attracts more than 600,000 visitors a year.