Tourist Attraction in Brazzaville: Basilique Sainte-Anne-du-Congo de Brazzaville
The Basilica of St. Anne of Congo is the monument of Brazzaville (capital of the Republic of Congo), which has the greatest architectural interest. It was in 1936 that Bishop Biechy decided to deal with the influx of converts to the Poto-Poto, creating an important sanctuary in this district of Brazzaville. In 1943 off the ground an extremely innovative building due to the talent of the Protestant architect Roger Lelièvre told Erell (1907-1986). Roger Erell reaches a surprising fusion of European technical contributions and local cultural contributions. He will admit, for the first time in a large colonial building site, Aboriginal artists such as Benoit Konongo. The historical context is favorable: Brazzaville, which is the official capital of free France, needs strong and visible symbols. Félix Éboué and Charles de Gaulle are enthusiastic. The Sainte-Anne church in Congo, whose construction site is slowly changing under the supervision of Fathers Moysan and Lecomte, is destined to be the "sanctuary of the memory of free France." Muhammad V and the Emperor of Ethiopia contributed. In 1949, the church that will become basilica is dedicated to the Pyreguers Mass composed for this occasion by Mrs. Barrat-Pepper. The work continues for a few years, but with a lack of resources, the arrow remains unfinished: its hastily covered base has long formed the bell tower. The basilica was damaged during the civil wars of the 1990s The main restoration works were carried out in late 2000. The tower work started in July 2010, was completed in January 2011. The arrow in metal and glass originally designed by architect was created by an Italian company, Errezeta, and provided with bells also made in Italy by the Pontifical Foundry Marinelli in Agnone, the entire project being managed by Pierre-Antoine Gatier architect and the executive project created and directed by Italian architect Giovanni Di Iorio. The President of the Republic inaugurated the work on March 25, 2011, highlighting the importance of the basilica to Congo and Central Africa.