Tourist Attraction in Angra dos Reis: Igreja Matriz de Nossa Senhora da Conceição
The Mother Church of Our Lady of the Conception is located in the city of Angra dos Reis, in the state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It is located in General Silvestre Travassos Square, in the city center. The first parish church of Angra dos Reis, founded in 1593, was a small taipa chapel. After an incident in which the vicar was murdered, the city's population moved from the other side of the bay, near the Carmelite chapel (future Carmo convent of Angra dos Reis), which also became the seat of the parish. In 1624, the City Council decided to build a mother church, his. Work began on 25 February 1625. The work was slow and in 1632 the parish headquarters were transferred from Igreja do Carmo to the Church of Santa Luzia, which became the temporary headquarters. Several times the village requested financial support to the metropolis for the works of the matrix and in 1704 the crown sent two hundred thousand reis as help. Even so, the main church was inaugurated only on February 4, 1750, 125 years after the start of the work. The matrix is very modest in architecture. The facade has a door and two windows at the height of the choir, with a more recent simplified curved gable than the rest of the church. On the left side of the façade there is a bell tower surmounted by a pyramid-shaped masonry dome. The interior, with a single nave, has several ancient images. The one of the main altarpiece is that of the patroness, Our Lady of the Conception. The baptismal font of the sacristy, in pietra lioz, was donated by the Portuguese crown in 1750.