Tourist Attraction in Vitória: Museu Solar Monjardim
The Monjardim Solar Museum is a Brazilian historical public museum based in Solar Monjardim, in the district of Jucutuquara, in the city of Vitória, Espírito Santo. The museum is one of the federal institutions administered by the Brazilian Institute of Museums. The 18th century site is considered to be the oldest private rural building of the colonial period of Espírito Santo, having been the seat of the Jucutuquara farm. The house has eleven rooms, three rooms, chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Carmo, with tiled floors and a long balcony. In the annexed buildings there were factories of domestic industries and domestic slave dwellings. His collection contains more than two thousand pieces, including furniture, pieces of sacred art and household items and is intended to reconstitute a rich family rural residence in the nineteenth century. The Jucutuquara farm was owned by the priests of the Society of Jesus. With the expulsion of the Jesuits, the farm was bought by the merchant Gonçalo Pereira Pinto. Their lands went from the Capixaba hill to Ponta de Tubarão, producing cassava flour and then coffee. At the beginning of the nineteenth century it was owned by Captain General Francisco Pinto Homem de Azevedo, who rebuilt the house. His daughter and heir, Ana Francisca de Paula, born in 1797, married Colonel Josè Francisco de Andrade, and Almeida Monjardim, whose son, Alfeo Adolfo Monjardim de Andrade and Almeida would be given the title of Baron Monjardim and elected president of the province of Espirito Santo in 1891. The Monjardim family held the property for 150 years until 1940, when the building was classified as a national heritage. On October 25, 1940, the residence is declared a historical site by the Department of History and Artistic Heritage (now Institute of Historical and Artistic Heritage) and in 1942, the set was leased to the government of the state of Espirito Santo. In 1952, Solar hosted the old Capixaba museum collection, which has operated since 1939 and was previously housed in the former military police barracks, in the current square Misael Pena, in the city center. The collection of the Capixaba Museum comes from collections of the Historical and Geographical Institute of Espírito Santo and also from the collection of Olinto Aguirre. The Capixaba Museum worked until 1964, when it began the process of transferring the museum to the Federal University of Espírito Santo (Ufes), which was completed in 1966. In the same year, the building received collection of the Holy Spirit Museum of Religious Art (which has worked in the Chapel of Santa Luzia since 1945) came to be known as the Museum of Art and History of Ufes, which took place until 1969. in 1978 the final desapropiação arrived of the solar building in favor of Ufes. In 1980, after restoration work, the museum was renamed and renamed by the then National Pro-Memory Foundation and reopened under the name of the Monjardim Solar Museum. In 1981 the property was donated by Ufes to Iphan. In October 2001 the administration passed by Ufes for the management of the Iphan Museum Department, which in 2006 held solar restoration work as well as landscape and the construction of an amphitheater.