Tourist Attraction in Vitória: Catedral Nossa Senhora da Vitória
Cathedral of Our Lady of Victory, Located in the Upper Town, in Piazza Dom Luiz Scortegagna, the Cathedral was built almost in the same place as the original Matriz, demolished at the beginning of the 20th century. Its construction began in 1920 and was completed only in the seventies. Occupied this place where, until 1918, there was a church called the Church of Our Lady of Victory, which was the Matrix of the city. It was a colonial style church, which began to be built in 1551, when Vitoria was still called Vila Nova, during the period of the first donation of the captain Espírito Santo, Vasco Fernandes Coutinho. With the creation of the diocese of the Holy Spirit (1895) and the appointment of the first bishop, Dom João Batista Correia Néri, the church received the title of Cathedral. Later, deteriorated and considered too small to accommodate the growing number of worshipers, it was demolished with the intention of being replaced by a larger church, in accordance with the desire to modernize the state capital. Demolished the old Matrix in 1918, the designer and urban planner Paulo Motta designed a new temple in the neo-Gothic style, adopted by the Catholic Church for its religious buildings, but for a long time the works were paralyzed and the original project was abandoned. In the '30s, when the construction was resumed, a new project was realized with its author André Carloni, exploiting the already erected parts and maintaining the neo-Gothic style, inspired by the Cologne Cathedral, in Germany. During the construction of the "new cathedral", the religious services were transferred to the church of São Gonçalo on 26 August 1918 by the second bishop of the diocese of Espírito Santo, don Benedito Paulo Alves de Sousa. Symbol of the city of Vitoria, the Cathedral was registered by the State Council of Culture in May 1984. It stands out in the environment for its imposing and eclectic architecture with neo-gothic features. Highlight the wonderful windows of its walls.