Tourist Attraction in Florianópolis: Fortaleza de São José da Ponta Grossa
The Fortaleza de São José da Ponta Grossa is located between the beaches of Forte and Jurerê, on the coast of the state of Santa Catarina, Brazil. It stands in a dominant position on the slope of the hill of Ponta Grossa, northwest of the island of Santa Catarina, dominating the North Bay. Designed and built by Brigadier José da Silva Pais, first governor of the Captaincy of Santa Catarina (1739-1745), it is one of the corners of the defensive triangle of the bar of the north bay of the island in the first half of the 18th century, integrated by the Fortress of Santa Cruz of Anhatomirim and the Fort of Santo Antônio de Ratones. The defense system was completed by the Fortress of Our Lady of the Conception of Araçatuba in the bar of the South Bay. Together, they were to protect the island of Santa Catarina, consolidating the occupation of the south of the Colony, and acting as strategic support base for the maintenance of the Portuguese domain on the Colonia do Sacramento.