Tourist Attraction in Florianópolis: Palácio Cruz e Sousa
The Cruz e Sousa Palace, former Rosy Palace, has been the headquarters of the Historical Museum of Santa Catarina since 1986. It is located in the center of Florianópolis, in the state of Santa Catarina, in front of the main square of the city, Praça XV de Novembro, having served as Palace of the State Government. In the middle of the eighteenth century, when the Captaincy of the Island of Santa Catarina was created and its first governor, Brigadier José da Silva Paes was named, a building of three sections and two floors was built for the town of Desterro. be the new "House of Government". For more than a century, the palace underwent several modifications, until in the republican change between 1894 and 1898 a great reform was realized, acquiring the architectonic characteristics preserved until the present. In him were born illustrious figures, like the historian Afonso d'Escragnolle Taunay, son of the Viscount of Taunay, ex- president of the province (1876 - 1877), and the ex- governor Aderbal Ramos of Silva (1947 - 1951). Besides the dances performed there and other solemnities, the palace received illustrious visits, such as D. Pedro I in (1826) and D. Pedro II in (1845 and 1865). The palace was a scene of a dramatic episode due to the Federalist Revolution when, in 1891, it was taken over by revolutionaries who opposed the policies of Floriano Peixoto in Santa Catarina, the vice president in office at the time. Between 1894 and 1898, under the government of Hercílio Luz, the building was renovated, losing, from then on, the original colonial characteristics and assuming eclectic language, full of decorative elements. Ten allegorical statues carved by the Italian artist Gabriel Sielva ornament the outside of the building, crowning the plates. Among them, the patron saint of the state, Santa Catarina; the evocative nymph of the seas, Amphitrite; and the mythological god Mercury, composed with two barrels, allegory allusive to the commerce and the industry of Santa Catarina, respectively, being the last one located at the top of the lateral facade, to the right. The pavement tiles in front of the palace were imported and settled in the year 1910.