Tourist Attraction in North Miami Beach: Sant Bernard de Clairvaux Church
The Church of St. Bernard of Clairvaux "Sant Bernard de Clairvaux Church" is an episcopal church of North Miami Beach, built by reusing material from the cloister of a Spanish monastery in the city of Sacramenia (Segovia). Built in the twelfth century, the cloister was dismantled in the twentieth century and shipped to New York, to be subsequently rebuilt in North Miami Beach, where it is currently a tourist attraction known as Ancient Spanish.The Cistercian monastery of Santa María la Real was built in the years 1133-1141 in Romanesque style and was named after Bernard of Clairvaux after his canonization, founded by Alfonso VII of León, who also exempted him from paying taxes and guaranteed freedom of grazing, because of the Muslim invasions, the area experienced a progressive depopulation. its destruction following a fire in 1641, some parts of the monastery were rebuilt and remained active until 1835. It was closed between 18 36 and 1840 during the reign of Isabel II of Spain as a consequence of the Desamortización of Mendizábal which led to its privatization and to the end of monastic life. The church, although privately owned, is still present in Sacramenia and was named a national monument on 3 June 1931. The cloister, the chapter house and the refectory were purchased in 1925 by William Randolph Hearst to be transported to the United States of America. at the Hearst Castle. The structures were carefully dismantled, each piece numbered and packed in coffins filled with hay. The total shipment covered 11,000 cases. However, some information during this labeling phase was lost and the shipment was quarantined due to the outbreak of a foot-and-mouth disease epidemic in the province of Segovia. During the quarantine, the crates were opened and the burnt hay, as a precaution against the spread of the fta; in the phase of subsequent re-packaging the contents of the boxes were not correctly recomposed. Finally, William Randolph Hearst was unable to implement his plan to rebuild the monastery because of economic difficulties. The remains of the dismantled buildings were kept in a Brooklyn warehouse until they were reacquired in 1952 by Raymond Moss and William Edgemon, who eventually recomposed them to the site of a small nursery north of Miami in 1964. The reconstruction of the monastery lasted 19 months and cost more than $ 1.5 million. Some of the original stones remained unused, but decorative parts were added from other Spanish buildings, such as the large stone-carved coat of arms in the cloister. The coat of arms belongs to the Albuquerque family and comes from the monastery of San Francisco in Cuéllar, also in the province of Segovia. Even the chapel, built in the fifteenth century by Beltrán de la Cueva (favorite of Henry IV of Castile and first duke of Albuquerque) to be intended as a family crypt, was bought in the twentieth century after the privatization of assets. The property was bought by the first bishop Henry. Louttit in 1964 for the Episcopal Diocese of South Florida, which was subsequently subdivided into the diocese of Central Florida, Southeastern Florida and Southwest Florida. Finally, economic difficulties forced the three dioceses to sell the monastery, which was purchased by Colonel Robert Pentland Jr., who donated them to the episcopal parish of Sant Bernard de Clairvaux.