Tourist Attraction in Santo Domingo: Alcázar de Colón
L'Alcàzar de Colòn or Palacio Virreinal de Don Diego Colòn is a palace located in the colonial city of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, which was built on a site near the cliffs overlooking the river Ozama, granted to Diego Colòn, eldest son of the discoverer of America, Christopher Columbus, by King Ferdinando Cattolico, to build a house for him and his descendants on the island of Hispaniola, to which he arrived in 1509 as governor and where the Museum Alcázar of Colón. The Alcázar de Colón was built between 1511 and 1514, following the influences of the one existing in Mancera de Abajo, Salamanca, Spain, of which the ruins are still preserved. The name of the architect who made the construction of this palazzofortificato is unknown. Of Mudejar Gothic style, the Alcázar also has some Renaissance features, notable in its arches, as well as the Elizabethan style that can be observed in the tassels that adorn it. The building was built using the masonry of rocecoralline. Originally the residence had 55 rooms, of which only 22 are kept. It was the first fortified palace built in the Hispanic era. Great Spanish conquerors such as Hernán Cortés and Pedro de Alvarado passed through it. It is the only known residence of any member of the Columbus family, in addition to the birthplace of Cristóbal who is still in Genoa. Juana, Isabel, Luis and Cristóbal Colón de Toledo, sons of Don Diego Colón and his wife, María Álvarez de Toledo, were born in the palace. Diego Colón died in Spain in 1526 but María Álvarez de Toledo, his widow, remained there until his death in 1549. Three generations of the Columbus family of Toledo lived there, probably until the year 1577. The ownership of the palace was controversial for about two centuries since that year. Perhaps in 1586 the English pirate Francis Drake, during his invasion and the island of Hispaniola, destroyed or carried away valuables from the old house of Diego Colón. Eventually it was abandoned and the passage of time began to devastate the structure of the building. In 1776 the building was in ruins and it was decided to rebuild it to turn it into a public prison, a project that was not completed. In 1779 their roofs began to sink. There is evidence that in 1783 the ruins of the house of Diego Colón were used to enclose the animals. In 1870, to protect its ruins, it was declared a National Monument. The remodeling that it shows today was made between 1955 and 1957 by order of the Dominican government and was carried out by the Spanish architect Javier Barroso.