Tourist Attraction in Rosario: Catedral Basílica de Nuestra Señora del Rosario
The Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary is a Catholic building located in the city of Rosario, Argentina. It is the main church of the archdiocese of Rosario. A first church was built in 1731, a few years after the foundation of the city, while the statue of Our Lady of the Rosary was brought from Cadiz, in Spain only in 1773. Between 1753 and 1756 the church was completely rebuilt. In 1834, the building was transformed by the architect Timoteo Guillón who built the portico, the two towers to crown the façade and the interiors with a single nave. In the eighties of the nineteenth century the Italian architect Giovanni Battista Arnaldi, a native of Porto Maurizio, made a series of modifications to the portico and raised the towers. In addition he built the transept, the cruise, the dome above and the baptistery. The high altar in Carrara marble was imported from Italy in 1898. The underground crypt, where the image of the Virgin was placed, was built by the architects Gerbino y Schwarz in 1923. Today's appearance of the church was conferred on it 1927, when a series of further interventions were made to the façade and the bell tower. With the establishment by the Catholic Church of the diocese of Rosario on 20 April 1934, the church was elevated to the rank of cathedral, while on 7 October 1966 it was declared a minor basilica.