Tourist Attraction in La Plata: Observatorio Astronómico de La Plata
The Plata observatory is an astronomical observatory located in La Plata. Its UAI code is 839. It was built in 1883, to house instruments that the Paris observatory had sent a year earlier to Argentina to observe the transit of Venus on the Sun disk of 1882. Later, more powerful instruments were installed, between a 43 cm diameter refractor and a Zeiss-Gautier 80 cm diameter reflector. The first director was Francisco Beuf, former director of the Toulon naval observatory. From 1921 to 1935, Johannes Franz Hartmann was its director. Before the construction of more powerful telescopes in the southern hemisphere, the observatory was mainly used for the study of comets and nine stars. Currently the observatory is carrying out important studies of astrometry and geophysics. Since 1997 the observatory has hosted the "Museum of Astronomy and Geophysics" of the University of Buenos Aires.