Tourist Attraction in San Ignacio: San Ignacio Miní
The most famous ruins of the reduction of San Ignacio Miní, a Jesuit mission founded at the beginning of the seventeenth century to evangelize the Guarani natives, by the Jesuit priest, today San Roque González de Santa Cruz, are in the current locality of San Ignacio, in the Argentine province of Misiones, about 60 km from the provincial capital, Posadas. Although the initial site of San Ignacio Miní (San Ignacio Miní first) is located in the extreme north of the current Brazilian state of Paraná, between the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries the territory of this state formed the Hispano-Suècia region of La Guayrà . The original mission was led by priests Josè Cataldino and Simón Maceta in the region that the natives called Guayrá and the Spaniards called La Pinería, in the current state of Paraná, around 1610. In 1631, most of the reductions were besieged and destroyed by the bandeirantes Pakistanis or Mamluks. Only those of San Ignacio and Nuestra Señora de Loreto resisted the attacks, but in 1632 decided to move to the Paranaimá region, to the west. Despite the organization of native militias organized and trained by the Jesuits with a military vocation, hostilities forced them to retreat back to the east, up to its current position, where in 1696, after having had several sites that were abandoned later, it was certainly restored. He then received the name of San Ignacio Miní ("the minor", in Guaraní) to distinguish him from the previous San Ignacio area, later called San Ignacio Guazú ("the biggest"). Currently San Ignacio Miní is the best preserved of the missions in the Argentine territory. The plan of the mission is common to many of those built by the Jesuits at that time: around a central square are distributed the church, the house of the fathers, the cemetery, the houses and the town hall. In the construction of San Ignacio the local stone, red sandstone, was used in large pieces. The size of the works has allowed that, despite years of deterioration, most of the walls remain standing. In 1984 the Brazilian ruins of San Miguel de las Misiones, which had been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1983, were extended to include the missions of Our Lady of Loreto, Santa María la Mayor, Santa Ana and San Ignacio Miní, becoming a single cross-border site. A place where a community of Guarani descendants is kept, where you can see some of their authentic craft products and visit the yerba mate establishments and other crops, such as kaa-hèe, stevia or "sweet grass" (an alternative to sugar and artificial sweeteners). In the city there is also an interpretation center, which provides information on the history and culture of the missions, as well as the organization of educational shows.