Tourist Attraction in Macapá: Fortaleza de São José de Macapá
The Fortaleza de São José de Macapá is located on the left of the Amazon River, near the former Province of the Tucujus, current city of Macapá, in the state of Amapá, Brazil. Witnessing the vast defense project of the Amazon developed by Marquês de Pombal, its dimensions are comparable to those of the Real Forte Príncipe da Beira. In order to succeed the 1738 (Reduto do Macapá) and 1761 (Fort Macapá) strongholds, and to give definitive solution to the fortification of the northern bar of the Amazon River, the Governor and Captain-General of the State of Grão-Pará and Maranhão, Fernando da Costa de Ataide Teive, went to the town of São José do Macapá, where, on January 2, 1764, accompanied by Sergeant Major Engineer Henrique Antônio Galucio, he examined the terrain and approved the general plan of the new fortress. Months later, on June 29 that same year, the cornerstone of the fortress was laid, at the angle of the bulwark under the invocation of St. Peter, in the presence of the governor, Colonel Nuno da Cunha Ataíde Varona, commander of the Square, the Sergeant -mor Galucio, of the Senate of the House and of the other civil and religious authorities of the town.