Tourist Attraction in Belém: Forte do Castelo de Belém
The Fort of the Castle of Santo Cristo de Belém Nativity, popularly referred to as Fort of the Castle, is located on the Guajará Bay, at the tip of Maúri on the right bank of the river Guamá, in the city of Belém in the Brazilian state of Pará. Dominating the entrance of the port and the navigation channel that coasts the island of Onças. It is one of the most sought after tourist spots in the city, due to its privileged location and historical sense. Member of the architectural and religious complex of the old town, the Happy Lusitania. After the conquest of São Luís do Maranhão, in November 1615, by the determination of the Captain-Major of the Conquest of Maranhão, Alexandre de Moura, the Captain-General of the Captaincy of Rio Grande do Norte, Francisco Caldeira de Castelo Branco, departed from that city for the conquest of the mouth of the Amazon River, on December 25, 1615, with the title of "Discoverer and First Conqueror of the Amazon River." With three vessels (Santa Maria da Candelaria, Santa Maria das Graças, and the Asuncion large boat) and less than two hundred men, the expedition reached Guajará Bay on January 12, 1616, on a small the left bank of the Piri stream, a fortress of cleanliness and land baptized as Belém's Nativity Scene. A nucleus of the village of Nossa Senhora de Belém, which was designed to contain occasional attacks by the Indians and any attacks by English and Dutch privateers who frequented the region . In the context of the Tupinambás uprising (1617-1621), the village and the fort were attacked by the forces of the chief Guaimiaba (in the Tupi language, "old woman's hair"), who was killed in combat (1619). Being damaged, this primitive fortification was replaced by a more solid one, of pylon taipa and this, in turn, in 1621, by a third.