Tourist Attraction in Porto Velho: Catedral Sagrado Coração de Jesus
The Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is the Catholic cathedral of Porto Velho, in the state of Rondônia. In spite of having had its cornerstone launched on May 3, 1917 - present the Bishop of the Amazon, Dom João Irineu Joffily, and the Municipal Superintendent, Joaquim Augusto Tanajura - only in 1927 the cathedral had its definitive construction actually started. At the same time, it is a Roman and Gothic style because inside it is Gothic style, and outside Roman style. Constructed in place selected in 1917 by Archbishop Joffily himself, its location corresponds today to the eastern end of the Caiarí neighborhood, Municipal Paço of Porto Velho. The first mass held in the Provisional Chapel of the Sacred Heart of Jesus was celebrated by Father Antonio Carlos Peixoto on the morning of November 10, 1926, with the Mayor, Prudêncio Bogéa de Sá, as his helper. In August 1927, Father Peixoto, then secretary general of the Prelature of Porto Velho, delegated powers to a commission formed by Prudêncio Bogéa de Sá, as president, Francisco Alves Erse, engineer of EFMM, and Jose Centeno, merchant, to administer the construction of the new temple. Already on September 26, 1927 the opening of the pits of the foundations of the new cathedral began. The work continued with difficulties, although counting on the direct aid of the population and of secular authorities. Soon they had the tireless support of Father João Nicoletti, whose name was attributed to the square of the City Hall, in front of the Cathedral, and has its tomb inside the temple. Roofing tiles arrived in Porto Velho on January 8, 1929, aboard the Madeira-Mamoré ship. They were transported from the port to the site of the work by the sailors and the inhabitants of the city. The original religious paintings inside the Cathedral were executed by Father Ângelo Cerri and Afonso Ligório. The stained glass windows that surround it, with themes of the Via Sacra, were all donated by the community of Porto Alegre. Modernly, the artist Rita Queiroz did some restorations and included a work of her own. In this initial period, only the part that today corresponds to the central nave and the belfry was built. Only from 1945 were the works of expansion carried out, the new altar and its sides emerging.