The Forte dos Reis Magos is a historical military building located in the city of Natal, in the Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Norte. It is administered by the José Augusto Foundation, foundation of the Government of Rio Grande do Norte. The fort was the initial landmark of the city - founded on December 25, 1599 - on the right side of the Potengi River (now near the Newton Navarro Bridge). It was named after the date of its construction, January 6, 1598, the day of the Kings on the Catholic calendar. In the context of the Philippine Dynasty, when the conquest of the Northeastern coast of Brazil, then threatened by French corsairs who trafficked Brazilwood (Caesalpinia echinata), the bar of the Rio Grande (the North) was reached by Portuguese troops under the command of the Captain-General of the Captaincy of Pernambuco, Manuel de Mascarenhas Homem, with orders to begin a fortification. For the defense of the camp, near the beach, a palisade of lithic and taipa was begun, with the plant in the circular format, indigenous fashion, on January 6, 1598 (Holy Kings Day), while proceeding with the choice of place definitive for the fortification ordered by the Crown: a reef, at the entrance of the bar, covered at high tide and which, in the ebb, allowed communication with land. The plan of the new fort, traced in the Kingdom in 1597, attributed to the Jesuit priest Gaspar de Samperes (or Gonçalves de Samperes), "master of the engineering moths in Spain and Flanders" and disciple of the Italian military architect Giovanni Battista Antonelli, presented the form classic of the seventeenth-century maritime fort: a starry polygon, with the reentrant angle facing north, built in "taypa, estacada and loose sand crammed". His works were in charge of its first commander, Jerônimo de Albuquerque Maranhão (1548-1618).