The Salvo Palace is a building in Montevideo, Uruguay, designed by the Italian architect Mario Palanti, an Italian immigrant who lived in Buenos Aires, and opened in 1928. With its 95 meters and 27 floors, it was the tallest tower in America South for several years. It is located on the corner of Avenida 18 de Julio with Plaza Independencia. It rises in the same place as the Confeitaria La Giralda, where Gerardo Matos Rodríguez presented the most famous and widespread Uruguayan tango, La Cumparsita. In an eclectic style (dubious and highly criticized by many architects of its time) and characteristic silhouette, it became an emblematic building of the city, recalling the years of prosperity of the first decades of the twentieth century. In Buenos Aires, on Avenida de Mayo, the same architect built Palacio Barolo, a building considered twin of the Salvo Palace for following the same architectural style.