Tourist Attraction in Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada
The National Gallery of Canada is located in the capital of Ottawa, Ontario, and is one of Canada's most important museums. The museum is located in a glass and granite structure on Sussex Drive with views over Parliament's hillside buildings. The structure designed by Moshe Safdie was inaugurated in 1988. Museum director Jean Sutherland Boggs was chosen directly by Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau. The Gallery was formed in 1880 by Governor General John Douglas Sutherland Campbell, 9th Duke of Argyll, and in 1882 moved to his first home on the Parliament Hill in the same building as the Supreme Court. In 1911, the gallery moved to the Victoria Memorial Museum, now home to the Canadian Museum of Nature. In 1913, the first National Gallery of Law was approved outlined by delegates and the resources of the Gallery. In 1962, the gallery moved to the Lorne Building site, an office building, rather anonymous on Elgin Street. Adjacent to the British High Commission, the building was then demolished for a 17-story office building that is to accommodate the Federal Department of Finance. The museum moved to its current Sussex drive building in 1988 next to Nepean Point. In 1985, the new National Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography (CMCP), the former National Film Board of Canada's Stills division, was affiliated to the National Gallery. CMCP's mandates, collection and staff moved to the new headquarters in 1992, at 1 Rideau Canal, near Chateau Laurier. In 1998, the CMCP administration was merged with that of the National Gallery of. In 2000, the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada chose the National Gallery as one of the top 500 buildings produced in Canada during the last millennium. The museum has a large and varied collection of paintings, drawings, sculptures and photographs. Though concentrated on Canadian artists, many European artists are present in the collection. The collection of Contemporary Art is very consistent including Andy Warhol's works. In 1990 the museum bought Barnett Newman Voice of Fire for $ 1.8 million, causing many controversies. In 2005 the museum bought a painting by Francesco Salviati for $ 4.5 million. Also in 2005 a great sculpture by Louise Bourgeois, Maman, was installed in front of the museum. The Canadian collection includes works by Tom Thomson, Group of Seven, Emily Carr, Alex Colville, and Thomas Reid (TR) MacDonald.