The Gateway of India is a monument located in the Indian city of Bombay, built during the British colonial period (Raj). It is an arc of the 26-meter-high basalt triumph, situated by the Arabian Sea and Mumbai Harbor (Front Bay) in the south of the city (South Mumbai), specifically Apollo Bunder (or Wellington Pier), Colaba , at the end of Chhatrapati Shivaji Marg. The area was a simple jetty used by fishermen that was renovated and used as a landing place for British governors and other prominent personalities. In the past it was the first structure to be seen by boat from Bombay, which was the port of entry for most of the Europeans who came to India. The monument, sometimes nicknamed Taj Mahal of Bombay, is the main tourist attraction of the city. It was erected to commemorate the landing of King George V of the United Kingdom and his wife, Queen Mary, upon their visit to India in 1911. Built in Indo-Saracen style, the laying ceremony of the first stone occurred on March 31 of 1911 but the final design by George Wittet was only approved in 1914 and construction was only completed in 1924. From then on the monument became the ceremonial entrance of India to the viceroys and governors of Bombay. The Portal of India was built to commemorate the visit of King George V and Queen Mary to Bombay before Delhi Durbar in December 1911. However, the royal couple only saw a cardboard model of the future structure, as construction would only be begun in 1915, although the first stone was symbolically placed on March 31, 1911 by the governor of Bombay, George Sydenham Clarke. Between 1915 and 1919 works were carried out in the Apollo Bunder (or Apollo Bandar, "Port of Apollo") to conquer land to the sea, to serve as a base for the monument and to build a new maritime wall. The foundations were completed in 1920 and the construction in yellow basalt and cement finished in 1924. It was inaugurated on December 4, 1924 by the viceroy, Rufus Isaacs. The last British troops to leave India after the First Somerset Light Infantry Battalion, marched through the monument at a ceremony marking the end of the British government in India on February 28, 1948.