The Shimogamo Shrine (Shimogamo-jinja) is the common name of an important shinto sanctuary in Shimogamo District, Sakyo district of Kyoto City. Its formal name is Kamo-mioya-jinja. It is one of the oldest shinto sanctuaries in Japan and is one of the seventeen historical monuments of ancient Kyoto, which have been designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage site. The term Kamojinja in Japanese is a general reference to the Shimogam Shrine and the Kamigamo Shrine, Kamo's shrines traditionally linked to Kyoto; Shimogamo is the oldest of the couple, being believed to be 100 years older than Kamigamo and dating back to the 6th century, centuries before Kyoto became the capital of Japan (794, see Heian-kyo). Kamo-jinja has the function of protecting Kyoto from malignant influences. The jinja name identifies the Kamo family of kami or divinity that are worshiped. The name also refers to the area of the nearby forests of the sanctuary, which are the vestige of the primordial forest of Tadasu no Mori. In addition, the name of the sanctuary refers to the first inhabitants of the area, the Kamo clan, many of whom continue to live near the shrine that their ancestors traditionally served. The Shimogam Shrine is devoted to the veneration of Tamayori-hime (the inviting fanciful girl) and her father, Kamo Taketsunomi. Tamayori-hime is the mother of Kamo Wakeikazuchi, Kamo's thunder-spider), which was created by Honoikazuchi-no-mikoto (the god of fire and thunder). Kamigamo Shrine, the other one of the two Kamo Kyoto sanctuaries, is dedicated to Kamo Wakeikazuchi. These kami are variously associated with thunder. The sanctuary became the object of imperial patronage during the early Heian period. Shimogamo, along with the Kamigamo Shrine, was designated as one of the two major Shinto sanctuaries (ichinomiya) for the former Yamashiro Province. In 965, Emperor Murakami ordered that Imperial messengers be sent to report important events to the guardian Kami of Japan, including Kamo-Tamayori-hime and Kamo-Taketsune. The writer of Hojoki, Kamo no Choumei, was the second son of one of the chief priests of the sanctuary, Kamo no Nagatsugu. From 1871 to 1946, Shimogamo was officially designated as one of Kanpei-taisha, which means he was in the front row of government-sponsored shrines.