Tell Qasile is an archaeological site in Tel Aviv, in Israel dating back more than 3,000 years, in which the remains of a port city founded by the Philistines in the 12th century BC have been unearthed. It is located at the Yarkon River, on land in the Land Museum of Israel. In 1815, Lady Esther Stanhope, a British traveler, after excavating the ruins of ancient Ascalon, proposed to investigate also the place called el Khurby, located 12 miles northeast of Jaffa, on the banks of the Awgy river (now Yarkon River), claiming that there were several evidences that the place had been rather populous in the past. The modern archaeological excavations were conducted in the years 1949-1951 and in 1956 by the archaeologist Benjamin Mazar, who received one of the first permits of archaeological exploration by the newborn state of Israel. The excavations brought to light the area A and revealed the gradual development of a Philistine city from its foundation (layer XII) to its maximum bloom (layer X), at the end of the eleventh century BC. Between 1971 and 1974 other excavations were conducted in the area "C" by the archaeologist Amihai Mazar, Benjamin's nephew, bringing to light the Philistine sanctuary. Other excavations conducted in the eighties led to the discovery of a building of the lowering period (IX-XI century) with traces of occupation also Umayyad and Crusade. The sacred area of the Philistine city, which housed the remains of three temples, built on top of each other with sun-dried mud bricks, covered with slightly colored plaster. Counters were built along the walls. Many offerings and ritual pottery were found on the ground, concentrating mainly on the bema and storage areas. On the north side of the road a residential block was found, while in the south the excavations revealed workshops and warehouses. The houses had a standardized plant: square in shape and about 100 square meters wide, they consisted of two elongated rooms separated by a courtyard. It is an ancient example of the type of house known as "four-room house" with only three rooms. The Islamic building is a caravanserai, with a central courtyard, located near a river crossing. Only the northern part of the building was excavated, whose width is estimated to be about 28 square meters: a stone paved entrance on the north side, leading to the courtyard, with gravel floor. On the east and west sides the courtyard has an arched portico supported by columns and several small rooms along the perimeter; on the north-western corner there are the remains of a staircase to the upper floors.