The Tret'jakov Gallery is a museum in Moscow that houses the largest collection of Russian fine art in the world. The history of the picture gallery begins in 1856 when the Moscow merchant Pavel Michajlovic Tret'jakov (1832 and 1898) began to buy works of art by Russian artists of the time, in order to create a collection that one day could become a national museum. In 1892 Tretyakov donated his now famous collection to the Nation. The Gallery was built between 1902 and 1904 south of the Kremlin. During the twentieth century it was extended by incorporating several surrounding buildings, including the seventeenth century church of St. Nicholas in Tolmachi. The facade of the building was designed by the painter Viktor Michajlovic Vasnecov in a typically Russian fairytale style. In 1977 a large part of the George Costakis collection became part of the museum's heritage. In 1985 the Tret'jakov Gallery inaugurated a section of contemporary art, housed in a large rationalist style building along the B ring, south of the Crimeo Bridge. The basement of this building houses a collection of sculptures of "Socialist Realism", including the famous statue of Yevgeny Vuchetich depicting Feliks Dzerzinskij (which was removed from the Lubyanka square in 1991 following the fall of communism. of Peter the Great, the work of the sculptor Zurab Konstantinovic Cereteli, whose 86 meters high is one of the tallest statues in the world.In 1917 in the Gallery collection there were 4000 works of art, in 1975 about 55.000, acquired by The current collection includes: Russian painting, graphics, sculpture, objects of applied art, works ranging from the 11th to the 21st century.