The Royal Palace, in Phnom Penh. The palace was built after King Norodom moved the royal capital from Oudong to Phnom Penh in the mid-nineteenth century. It was built on top of an old citadel called Banteay Kev. It faces east and is located on the west bank of the cross-section of the Tonle Sap River and on the Mekong River called Chaktomuk. The establishment of the Royal Palace in Phnom Penh in 1866 is a relatively recent event in the history of the Khmer and Cambodia. The capital did not return to Phnom Penh until the nineteenth century. It was only after the implementation of the French Protectorate in Cambodia in 1863 that the capital was moved from Oudonga Phnom Penh, and the current Royal Palace was founded and constructed. The complex is divided by walls into four main compounds. On the south side is the Silver Pagoda, to the north the Khemarin Palace and the central complex contains the Throne Hall and to the west is the private sector or the Inner Court. The buildings of the palace were built gradually over time and some were dismantled and rebuilt in the 60s. Some old buildings date back to the nineteenth century. The Royal Palace of Cambodia is a fine example of Khmer architecture with a slight French touch with its layout of the defensive wall, throne room (preah tineang), Temple of the Emerald Buddha, towering spiers (prangat prasat) and murals. The royal palace of Phnom Penh covers an area of 174,870 square meters. The Preah Thineang Chan Chhaya or Moonlight Pavilion, is an outdoor pavilion that serves as a stage for Khmer classical dance in the past and present. It is one of the palace's most remarkable buildings as it is easily visible from the outside as it was built next to a section of the palace walls. The Chan Chhaya Pavilion has a balcony that has been used as a platform to see the marching parades along Phnom's Sothearos Boulevard. The Silver Pagoda is a complex located on the south side of the palace complex. Presents a royal temple officially called Preah Vihear Preah Keo Morakot. There are also other structures surrounding the main building or the vihear. To the east is the statue of King Norodom sitting on a white horse. North of the vihear is the library. At the north-western corner is the bell tower and to the south of this is the model of Angkor Wat. South of the vihear are four structures: from west to east the Chedi (stupa) of HM King Suramarit and Queen Kossamak, the Dharmasala, the Chedi of Princess Kantha Bupha and The Phnom Mondop (Mount Mondop) where is the statue of Preah Ko. The wall that surrounds the structures is covered by the painting of the epic story of Reamker. The Khemarin Palace (Palace of the Khmer King). It is used as the official residence of the king of Cambodia. This compound is separated from other buildings by a wall and is located to the right of the Sala del Trono. The main building is surmounted by a single prang His Majesty the Queen Kossamak on a palanquin in the inner courtyard, behind it is the Khemarin Moha Prasat, the residence of the King. The Royal Palace has undergone some important changes to its buildings; almost all the buildings from the time of King Norodom were completely demolished. The palace has always been a popular tourist attraction in Phnom Penh. Visitors are able to wander around the compound of the Silver Pagoda, and to the central complex containing the Throne Room, and the Chan Chhaya Pavilion. The King's living area, which actually occupies half of the total area of the building, including the Khemarin Palace, Villa Kantha Bopha, the Serey Mongkol Pavilion, the royal gardens and a number of other buildings and pavilions, is closed to the public.