Neptune's fountain, nicknamed Żigànt in dialect (the giant in Italian) by Bolognese because of the size of the statue of Neptune, was fired by Pier Donato Cesi, pontifical vicegerent in Bologna, to embellish the new square of Neptune ( Opened after the demolition of a large number of small buildings) with a work symbolizing the munificence of the good papal government of Pius IV. The commission was assigned on August 2, 1563 to the Bolognese foundry Zanobio Portigiani, to the architect Palermitano Tommaso Laureti (who was delegated the execution of the architectural structure of the work) and finally to the Flemish manistist Giambologna sculptor, commissioned to make the bronze statue of Neptune and the sculptural parts with a salary of a thousand gold shields. The theme of Neptune, particularly in the fountains of the sixteenth century, was already faced by the young but Giambologna ferrata in the competition for the fountain of Piazza della Signoria in Florence, then won by Bartolomeo Ammannati. The fountain, initially powered by a pipeline from the source named Remonda near the hill of San Michele in Bosco, was completed in 1566. Before the fountain was completed in 1563, Valverde's Conserva was built to increase l 'Water supply, which has become insufficient. Though conceived for purely ornamental purposes, the fountain was readily used by the Bolognese for eminently practical purposes, by reason of the inscription "POPULI COMMODO" placed on one of the sides of the stand. That was how the Neptune's fountain was attacked by the vegetable vendors in the nearby Piazza Maggiore, who used it to clean their own products, and from the lavender Bolognese who went there to wash their laundry. Nor was a measure promulgated on March 30, 1588 (which put as many people as using the fountain as a wash in "fifty stubble, in addition to the loss of pots, bows and anything else" or "three rope strings" on the basis of sex) managed to dissuade the Bologna from their goals. The situation got worse when the fountain began to be illegally used as a Vespasian: in complicity the "great sorrow" caused by illicit mincing, in 1604 around the work was erected a high fence, which actually managed to prevent acts of vandalism and indecency. The cancel was then removed by the municipal administration only in the nineteenth century, precisely in 1888.