Tourist Attraction in Cagliari: Chiesa Collegiata di Sant'Anna
The collegiate church of Sant'Anna in Cagliari is the main parish church in the Stampace district. The monumental temple, dedicated to Saint Anthony, began its construction at the end of the 18th century in Baroque style, to replace a former small church, dating from the 13th century. The thirteenth-century church of Sant'Anna developed in the area occupied today by the transept of the new building. Of this first church, possibly in Pisan's Romanesque style, dating back to 1263, by Federico Visconti, Archbishop of Pisa, This same church was elevated to the rank of collegiate by the archbishop of Cagliari Francisco de Esquivel in 1616. In the 18th century it was thought to build a larger church and the project was entrusted to Piedmontese architect Giuseppe Viana, student of Benedetto Alfieri. Demolished the old church, the construction of the new temple began on May 27, 1785, with the laying of the first stone by archbishop Filippo Melano. The church of Sant'Anna is in Piedmontese Baroque style. The facade, framed by two bell towers, is preceded by a characteristic staircase. The prospectus, divided into two orders through a projecting frame, has a concave course in the central part, where the portal is located, surmounted by a top rosette. They skew the different facades of columns and pilasters with capitals of Ionic order. They give great dynamism to the three domes of various shapes and sizes crowning the building. The interior is made up of three areas, in this case the hall, with elongated hexagonal plan, covered by semi-elliptical dome, the transept, covered by a high octagonal drum dome, and the presbytery with a rectangular plan with apse semicircular. The interior of the building is marked on the sides by pilasters and columns (in the transept) and the tax of the vault is traversed by a trabeation. The classroom has four side chapels; in the second right there is a valuable 14th-century wooden crucifix, once preserved in the church of San Francesco di Stampace, destroyed in the 19th century, while the first chapel on the left, dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, houses an altar in polychrome marble . In the right hand of the transept is the imposing neoclassical altar, in black marble, dedicated to Blessed Amedeo IX of Savoy; the statue of the Blessed, purist taste, was made in 1828, commissioned by King Carlo Felice by Andrea Galassi. Galassi also attributes the two bas-reliefs of saints, on the altar of the Blessed Sacrament, in the left arm of the transept. The presbytery, deeply developed in depth, has partially barrel and partly dome cover. On the tall altar, twentieth-century, there is a marble statue of St. Anne with Mary Child. The church also houses other precious works of art, such as the sculptural wooden polychrome depicting the saints Anna and Gioacchino with Maria Bambina, by Giuseppe Antonio Lonis, and a canvas by Giovanni Marghinotti representing the Redeemer among angels.