The sanctuary of Our Lady of Bonaria is a religious complex of the city of Cagliari The most important marian sanctuary of Sardinia for the Catholic Church is a small church (the real "sanctuary" of thirteenth century origins) the largest temple, elevated to the dignity of a small basilica from Pius XI in 1926. The sanctuary of the Virgin of Bonaria is officiated by Mercedari fathers, who inhabit the adjacent convent The sanctuary, the first example of Gothic-Catalan architecture in Sardinia, stands on the hill of Bonaria, in the place (then called Bonaire), where King Alfonso of Aragon, in 1324, had built a fortified castle to conquer the Cagliari Castle, the stronghold of the Pisans. In 1335 the king gave the church to the Friars of the Order of Santa Maria della Mercede, who built a convent, which still inhabits. The construction of the basilica, which is adjacent to the Sanctuary, dates back to 1704 when the Mercedrian brothers decided to build a larger church in honor of the Virgin of Bonaria, which is a representation of Virgin of Candelaria. The church, built on the design of Piedmontese architect Antonio Felice De Vincenti, was originally designed in Baroque style; However, works were interrupted, and by the end of the eighteenth century they were entrusted to the architect Giuseppe Viana, who redesigned the neoclassical design. The interior, in Gothic-Catalan style, is a single nave with ogival vault. On the left side there are three chapels, also in Gothic style, cruising, while on the right side there is the arch connecting the sanctuary to the basilica. The basilica has a limestone façade with a large porch, above which, at the central nave, there is a triangular tympanum that encloses the coat of arms of the Order of Mercy and, further down, is dominated by another triangular tympanum and framed by classical columns, the loggia of blessings opens. In the lobby, on the left, there is a sculpture by Enrico Manfrini of Milan. The bronze portals of contemporary times were made by Ernesto Lamagna. There are two sculptures by Franco D'Aspro on the churchyard. The large staircase leading from the churchyard to the underpass Avenue Diaz. The main altar is topped by a canopy supported by four columns of green marble decorated by figures of golden copper angels, as well as capitals and arches. In front of the presbytery, at the height of the last couple of columns on the right there is a reproduction of the statue of Our Lady of Bonaria. In the side aisles there are the chapels, four on the right and three on the left, where there are large canvases depicting the Madonna dating back to the 1950s. The canvases depicting Mary Help of Christians (first chapel to the right), Assunta (second chapel to the right), Madonna of Fatima (fourth chapel to the right), Madonna del Rosario (first chapel to the left), Immaculate Virgin (third chapel on the left) are the work of Antonio Mura. In the third chapel of the right aisle, painted by the Holy Family of Giuseppe Aprea, while the second chapel of the left nave contains the canvas depicting the Madonna della Mercede, a work by Gina Baldracchini dating back to 1961, The transept carries the statue of Our Lady of the Fighter of Francesco Ciusa, built between 1936 and 1938. In the transept, there are two chapels in their respective arms, in the right one the chapel of the Madonna of Victory or of the Fallen, built in 1930 for the wish of the mothers of the fallen in war, adorned by a marble altar in baroque style with a bas-relief depicting La Pietà, in the left arm the chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, where there is another canvas of Antonio Mura, depicting the Dinner in Emmaus.