Tourist Attraction in Cagliari: Castello di San Michele
Castle San Michele is a fortified building, dating back to the judicial period, on the homonymous hill of Cagliari. The excavations of 1990 revealed the remains of a country church, probably in the early medieval period, on which the castle later emerged, at least in the twelfth century, to defend the city of Santa Igia, the capital of the Giudicato di Cagliari. The complex has three towers and a moat surrounding the structure. The most important period of the Castle is without a doubt between 1350 and 1511, when it was inhabited by the Carroz family, noble Spanish mansion. Subsequently it was abandoned and used as a lazzaretto during the epidemic of "Sant'Efisio" (1652-1656). It was again fortified as a defensive feature of the French attacks between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Around 1940, it was chaired by the Marina Regiment (then Marina Militare) and then deserved until it passed to the State and to the City of Cagliari. At present, the Castle has undergone a substantial alteration in the structure, used as a Center for Art and Culture.