Tourist Attraction in Corigliano Calabro: Castello di Corigliano Calabro
the castle of Corigliano Calabro is a fortress dating back to the eleventh century. It has been defined as "one of the most beautiful and best preserved castles in southern Italy". The origin of the castle of Corigliano Calabro is linked to the figure of Roberto Guiscardo, the king of gigantic appearance.
He was, according to his biographer Goffredo Malaterra, wanting in 1073 to build a fortress near Rossano within the defense line made in Crati Valley between 1064 and 1080. Rossano was then still strongly permeated by Byzantine religiosity and culture and frequent episodes of rebellion towards new conquerors. The nearby Corigliano, though only a small hamlet perched on the hill called the "Serratore", could have undergone the influence and Roberto did not want to risk. Hence the decision to build the castle which, according to Norman tradition, had not so much the purpose of protecting the territory from external dangers, than of making the community feel the weight of dominical power. The first gentleman of the castle of Corigliano was a vassal of Guiscardo, Framundo, coming from Oudon (France), followed by his brother Rinaldo and then his nephew Guglielmo. Here we can see the fortress tower of the castle, it can be noticed that the fortress was made up only by this tower, only after years the whole castle was built. The Castellare garrison of Corigliano, together with the monastical monastery castle of San Mauro, were granted by the Emperor Frederick II of Swabia to Archbishop Cicala, in keeping with it. After a century of building the fortress, King Tancredi of Sicily granted the Corigliano feud and all its lands to Ruggero Sanseverino. The Sanseverino, destined to become one of the most powerful families in the Kingdom of Naples, maintained their power in Corigliano until the beginning of the 17th century. In 1538 the terrible pirate Barbarossa, during one of his incursions in Calabria looking for slaves and riches, turned his attack on the territory of Corigliano. The Coriglianese, after a vain resistance, was about to give in when Peter Antonio Sanseverino, the sixteenth Count of Corigliano, spread the news that his servant had dreamed St. Francis of Paola, who had foretold a sure victory against the incursion barbarians. Reassured by this prophecy, the citizens gathered in the castle and around the gates of the city walls, after a strenuous resistance they managed to have the best on the guides guided by Barbarossa. Peter Antonio Sanseverino went to history for his exceptional prodigality. To him, in 1535, the triumphal welcome reserved to Charles V, returning from the expedition of Tunis, the new feudal lords failed to prevent the degradation and the progressive impoverishment of the territory, were Saluzzo to transform and radically improve l 'look of the mighty castle, so that soon it became their habitual home. They date the work for the construction of the octagonal tower overlooking the doorman, the placement of the inner square through two access ramps, the renovation and decoration of numerous environments, as well as the large external balcony which was equipped with a salon of the mirrors. From this balcony you could descend, through two iron steps, on a terrace, built on the roof of a well-equipped and functional stable. Agostino II also has to be realized the chapel dedicated to St. Augustine, enriched with precious furnishings and works of art and destined to be officiated "to the end of the world" as he wrote in his will.