Tourist Attraction in Gerace: Chiesa di Santa Maria del Mastro
The Church of Santa Maria del Mastro, historically one of the most important buildings in the city in the eleventh century, despite being out of the city walls, in the present Major Borgo, now shows a neoclassical Greek cross structure due to its complete reconstruction following the earthquake of 1783. An accurate archaeological excavation campaign has brought to light important protomedial phases that see, on a lay attendance stage, the construction of a small, probably Byzantine church, embedded in a larger Norman building, from which important stucco fragments come with phytoomorphic and zoomorphic decorations, certainly close to Sicilian-Arabic styles. The nineteenth-century facade is dominated by a majestic portal supported by columns on plinths. On the right is the square bell tower.