Tourist Attraction in Wrocław: Bazylika Swietej Elzbiety Wegierskiej
The basilica of Sant'Elisabetta is a Catholic church in Wroclaw, Poland. The first church in this place, already dedicated to St. Lawrence, was probably erected at the beginning of the 13th century, in brick and stone in Romanesque style. In 1253 the building was donated by the Duke of Wrocław Henry III the White to the Red Star Crucibles, who founded a monastery and the Hierapolis of Sant'Elisabetta. On November 19, 1257, the church was consecrated to St. Elizabeth of Hungary by Bishop Thomas I Rawicz. The present Gothic style building was founded by Duke Boleslao third, Prodigo as a parish church in the first third of the 14th century. The shipyard was started from the base of the western tower, elevated between 1309 and 1318. Between 1330 and 1380, it was handed over to the church. By 1340 the piedicroce was erected; in 1384 Otto di Nissa added the chapel of the Virgin and in 1387 the choir was completed. The bell tower was completed in 1457 with a very close spire of 130 meters high. The highest in the region and one of the highest in the world at the time. It has three naves basilic plants, with long sides up to the chorus, but without deambulatory. It has impressive dimensions to emphasize the role of parishioners of the bourgeois and rich merchants of the city, competing with the Cathedral of St. John, an expression of noble-clerical power. Around the church stood a cemetery, surrounded by a crown of tiny houses of the canons, called altarystows (altars of the altars), which accentuated even more, the size of the church. Today, there are two survivors, joined by a distinctive arc-shaped bow: Jas Matagosia, literally "Giovanni and Margherita", the Polish name of Hänsel's and Gretel's famous tale, which has become a city symbol. On April 6, 1525, the church became the first Protestant church of Silesia, led by the pastor Ambrosius Moiban, becoming Lutheran main church in Wroclaw. The tall spire of the tower was destroyed during a storm in 1529 and its debris fell on the cemetery surrounding the church. Reconstructed between 1531 and 1535 in Renaissance style, since then it has a height of 91.46 meters. In 1598 a restoration of the building was undertaken, during which the roof was then rebuilt with the characteristic Roman-style chaotic red-green chessboard, which later influenced the rooftops of the Maddalena Town Hall and Parish Church. The church suffered serious damage in 1806-07 during the siege of the city by the Napoleonic army. In 1856-57 the building was restored, but during the work a outer wall of the southern aisle collapsed, and with it a part of the vault. Immediately reconstructed and reinforced, the church was re-consecrated on 19 November 1858. Two serious fires in 1975 and 1976 devastated the interior and the precious works contained, including the splendid baroque organ performed since 1750 by Michael and Benjamin Engler, and finished by Gottlieb Ziegler in 1761. Immediately restored, the organ was rebuilt.