Tourist Attraction in Leipzig: Botanischer Garten der Universität Leipzig
The Leipzig Botanical Gardens (German Leipziger Botanische Garten or Botanischer Garten der Universitat Leipzig) are a 3.5-hectare botanical garden, run by the University of Leipzig. It is the oldest botanical garden in Germany and among the oldest in the world; it is open every day for free. Leipzig Botanical Gardens date back to at least 1542, although they changed their location several times. They were constituted shortly after the university reform of 1539, when Maurizio first, Saxon elector, gave the Dominican monastery of Sant Pauli. In May 1543, the pre-existing monastic garden, on the northern side of Paulinerkirche, was converted to hortus medicus. This first garden was destroyed during the Thirty Years War; in 1648 the University of Leipzig acquired a new site, where in 1653 he created his second garden. In 1807, the garden was transferred to the foundations of the Pleißemühlgraben, where after 1840 the greenhouses were built. In 1857 more than 10,000 species were cultivated in the Gardens, of which 4,500 were cultivated in the greenhouses. In the years 1876-1877, following the decision to build a court on its site, the Giardini were again transferred to the current location, in the southeast of Leipzig. The initial area of this area was 2.8 hectares; in 1895 it was extended, so that the new greenhouses were far larger than the previous ones. During the Second World War the Gardens were completely destroyed and the ruins of the Botanic Institute were then demolished and filled with rubble. In 1954, the exhibition buildings had been restored, but the economic difficulties of the 1980s led to the closure of some greenhouses. After the reunification of the two Germanies, the Gardens were completely renewed from 1992 to 2004, with the creation of a new butterflyhouse in 1996 and the construction of five new greenhouses in the years 1999 to 2000. Today, the gardens contain about 7,000 species, as nearly 3,000 species are included in 10 special collections. They include a systematic department, geographical layout of plants from Eastern and Asian steppes, boreal forests, prairies and the eastern part of North America, as well as a swamp and a pond with regional flora and an Alpine garden, which contains plants from Asia, Europe and South America. Its greenhouses contain plants from subtropical and tropical areas of the Mediterranean basin, Africa, Central America, and Australia.