The church of San Sebaldo is an important gospel church in the Bavarian city of Nuremberg. It is a large medieval building begun in the Romanesque style in 1225 1230 and finished in Gothic forms in 1379 dedicated to San Sebaldo, a local hermit that stayed in Nuremberg in the eighth century. Along with the churches of St. Lawrence and Our Lady is one of the most prestigious monuments in the city. In the Middle Ages the free town of Nuremberg was divided into two parts by the River Pegnitz. The church of San Sebaldo was built in the medieval quarter north of the river, not far from the imperial castle, becoming the parish, as opposed to the other great parish of San Lorenzo, in the southern hamlet. The church of San Sebaldo stands on the site of previous religious buildings. The first was erected towards the 12th century, probably dedicated to Saint Peter, with two aisles and a crypt. Later there was erected between 1225 1230 and 1273 a bicephal plant already dedicated to Saint Sebaldo. From 1225 to 1230 the construction of the current San Sebaldo building became the most important town church, becoming the first Lutheran Lutheran Church in the city and one of the first in the reformed world. The church of San Sebaldo looks like a large composite building that preserves Romanesque characters in the piedicroce and western choir at two tough towers, with the characteristics of the typical Westwerk; and late-gothic shapes in the grandiose eastern choir, clenched between powerful buttresses, among which large polygons open; and the side aisles. It served as an inspiration and prototype for the reconstruction of the town's church of San Lorenzo. The interior is made up of late-Romanesque piedlicce, with elements already Gothic, on which is directly attached the great late-gothic choir, always to three nave, but of the Hallenkirche type. The piedicroce is divided into three aisles by powerful gloomy archons on composite pilasters that rise up to support the cruise quays. Above the arches runs triforio, consisting of a loggetta on strong columns to hold trilobate bows, above is the cleristorio open by monofore. Behind the Great Altar is the most prestigious monument of the church, the Tomb of San Sebaldo, one of the greatest masterpieces by Peter Vischer the Elder, who worked with his five sons from 1508 to 1519. The church houses many remarkable works of art , largely donated by mayors and city councilors, fortunately escaped from war destruction. Christ the bearer, at the second right pillar of the central nave, works of 1506 by the great sculptor Adam Kraft. Schreyer's Epitaph, in the Deambulatorio, with the Scenes of Passion and Resurrection, by Adam Kraft, 1492. The Crucifixion, located in the arch behind the main altar, is a work also known as Cross with the Sorrows, performed between 1507 and the 1520 by the great Veit Stoss. Relief of the Passion, in the deambulatory, works by 1499 performed by Veit Stoss. Statue of Saint Andrew in the Deambulatorio, made of lime wood in 1507 by Veit Stoss. Ciborius polychrome, in deambulatory, a fine example of Gothic sculptural decoration made between 1375 and 1379. Stained glass windows. A cycle of precious stained glass, donated by members of the city council, embellish the polyphorus of the choir. The four centers are from the 16th century, on drawings by Albrecht Durer, Hans von Kulmbach and the painter Veit Hirsvogel; while the others date back to 1379. Scenes of San Sebaldo's life; the statues, the apostles. Other painters decorating the tomb, including the Scenes of the Life of the Saints, Tritons, Satyrs, Pegasus and Vanity, are believed to have been made by the Vischer on designs by Jacopo de 'Barbari, who already worked in the city at the Imperial Court of Massimiliano first.