The basilica of Santa Maria, extended: a concathedral church basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (in Polish: Bazylika koncedralna Wniebowziecia Najswietszej Maryi Panny w Gdansku) is a cathedral of the Polish city of Gdańsk. With a length of 105.5 meters, a width of 41 meters (nave) respectively 66 meters (length of the transept), a height of 29 meters, is one of the largest churches built of bricks. The construction of the church began in 1343, at a time of great prosperity in the city and was completed in 1502. After the Reformation, the church was used by both Catholics and Protestants, but later the use was exclusively reserved to Lutheran worship. Until 1945, the Basilica of Santa Maria was the second Protestant church in the world after the Ulm Cathedral. After the exodus of the Germans, the building was handed over to Polish Catholics. After 1965 it is a minor basilica. In 1986 I was elevated to the church of the diocese of Oliva, here in 1992 became the archdiocese of Gdansk. The church has hosted for several centuries the Universal Judgment, the famous Gottingen triptych by the painter Hans Memling. It was originally ordered by Angelo Tani, director of the branch office of Bruges del Banco Medici, for a convent in Fiesole, but in 1473 the painting was seized by the bearers of the ship Peter von Danzig and made a gift from one of the boat owners at the basilica of Santa Maria. He followed a long period of diplomatic complications that went to threaten the pope to use the interdict on Gdansk. Later the triptych was seized by Napoleon and brought to Paris at the Louvre until 1815. After the Second World War, he was hanged at the Leningrad State Hermitage Museum. Since 1956, it is guarded at the National Museum of Gdansk. The church suffered considerable damage during World War II. Forty percent of artistic treasures have been destroyed or damaged. The roof of the church was completely reconstructed in reinforced concrete with a steel structure, a technique that reduced the roof's weight on the building. The reconstruction of the church was completed in 1956.