The archaeological museum of Massa Marittima is, the main museum of Massa Marittima, on the right of the cathedral of San Cerbone. The museum was born in 1867 under the name of Civic Museum of Massa Marittima by the wish of Stefano Galli of Modigliana, author of the Historical Memories of Massa, a teacher and scholar of local history, founded together with the library without a typology yet specifically identified, hosting inside it all sorts of antique collections. Originally set up in the convent of Sant'Agostino, it was later transferred to the former monastery of Santa Chiara and was only from 1875, with the first donation made by Gismondo Galli, father of the founder of the museum Stefano Galli, that the museum began to to receive ancient artifacts and artefacts, coming mainly from the territories of Canino, Orte and Tarquinia, until becoming an autonomous and specialized institution in a single type. The museum increased its pieces after numerous excavation campaigns carried out in the twentieth-twentieth century in the territory of the Metallifere Hills. The researches took place in the towns of Acquarello 1922. The Tane 1925 and 1929, in Perolla 1925-1933, in Poggio Castiglioni 1926 and 1936, and especially those near Lake Accesa 1922 and 1936 carried on, among others , by archaeologist Doro Levi; other campaigns were carried out in the years following the Second World War, beginning in the 1950s, with important finds in the areas of Scarlino 1949 and 1951, Montieri 1949 and 1957, Frassine and Marsiliana. In 1958, the museum was transferred to the Palazzo delle Armi in Piazza Matteotti, then moved again in 1978 to some rooms of the one that will be its permanent residence: Palazzo del Podestà in Piazza Garibaldi. In recent years, the museum has become rich thanks to the acquisition of its most important piece, the famous star of Vado all'Arancio, donated by the interlocutor of the carpenter Sergio Bucci by the farmer Donato Arzilli, who had found him years ago in soil then hold it in the henhouse of his farm to sharpen the beak of the hens. Of considerable importance is the excavation campaign carried out since 1980 on behalf of the University of Florence in the archaeological area of Lake Accesa, where an Etruscan settlement was found mainly linked to mining activity documenting a long period historical from IX to VI century BC with the contribution of the archaeologist Giovannangelo Camporeale. The museum is thus managed by the Cooperative Colline Metallifere and in 1993 it is completely reorganized by occupying all the floors of the palace. In 2004 the archaeological museum of Massa Marittima is enrolled in the museum network of provincial museums of Maremma and in that same year a permanent exhibition on archeospeleology in the massetan area entitled "The man and the caves", with the reconstruction of prehistoric caves natural dimension. On 1 December 2011 another permanent exhibition, The Etruscan Symposium, was inaugurated. The banquet kits of the inhabited Lake of Accesa, a collection of furnishings, utensils and kits that set up the banquets of the Etruscan tradition. The museum is housed since 1978 in the medieval Palazzo del Podestà, also known as Palazzo Pretorio, although it occupies the entire building only since 1993. The public building was built around 1225 by the will of Podestà Massa Marittima, and later it was residence of the Commissaries, Captains of Justice and Vicar Orders. It looks like an imposing three-story building, the façade is decorated by two two-limbed rows not in an axis between them on the first and second floor, the first of the deep sguances in a Lombard style, the latter with a simple molding.