Tourist Attraction in Pistoia: Chiesa di San Pier Maggiore
The church of San Pier Maggiore is a Pistoia church from the 8th century. Its origin dates back to the Lombards to the eighth century, when some historians call it a certain Guinifredo. The Benedictine nuns from the ancient Campanelliana cenobio were housed in the convent since 1091. The outer wall is the last testimony of the Pistoise polygonism season, expanded in 1086 and then again in 1124, assuming current forms in 1263. The architrave of the center portal is perhaps the work of the workshop of Guido da Como, which Jesus depicted Jesus who carries the keys to St. Peter, surrounded by the Virgin and the Apostles. The façade preserves the original Romanesque appearance and repeats the pentapartit scheme with the romania decoration already experienced in the nearby San Bartolomeo in Pantano, with a fancy in the choice of illustrated themes and in the decorative repertoire that does not have the same in Pistoia. In 1640 the interior was completely restored and enriched with decorations of Baroque taste. In 1778 the parish was joined to that of St. Peter in Chapel and then passed, with effect from 1799 to the church of the Most Holy Annunziata. Today the church is disenchanted and in the annexed conventual spaces the Petrocchi artistic high school is located. In the Matroneo, with access from the Artistic Liceo, is the collection of plaster of the sculptor Pistoia Andrea Lippi (1888 and 1916). As evidenced by a chronic chaotic 1561, a mystical marriage between the new bishop of the diocese of Pistoia and the abbess of the convent of St. Peter was celebrated in this church (similar to the one in the monastery in Florence), during the settlement of the bishop, as the patron of the monastery of St. Peter traditionally symbolized the Pistoia Church. The new bishop entered the city by Lucchese door (in memory of the birth of the diocese as a sculpture of that of Lucca) on a white horse and then headed to the church of San Pier Maggiore where the symbolic weddings took place. The two spouses sat in the ceremony on a nifty bed, symbolizing consummation (later sweetened with the most pudic sitting on two high chairs); then the bishop delivered a ring to the bride and started the cathedral.