Tower Guelfa is a tower in Pisa at the Citadel, dating to the middle of the 15th century. It was built during the first Florentine domination (1406), when the entire area of what was the Arsenal of the Republic was restored. The name was chosen as opposed to the oldest Ghibelline Tower erected in 1290 at the southwest corner of the district and later destroyed. The tower also had the task of allowing sighting, being tall enough to see the sea and at the same time to dominate the city, being clearly visible from the first half of the lunar. During the 1944 bombings it was almost completely destroyed, but in the post-war period (1956) it was re-reconstructed scrupulously trying to retrieve exactly the previous aspect. Today it is open to the public and allows to admire a wonderful view from the top. Inside, the ancient carved coat of arms of Captains and Fiorentini Commissars who ruled the city were housed.