Tourist Attraction in Bergamo: Chiesa di Santo Spirito
The church of Santo Spirito is a place of Catholic worship located in the same square in Bergamo. The church was built in Renaissance style in the 16th century and contains important paintings of the time. The monastery of Santo Spirito was founded in Bergamo in 1311 by the Order of the Celestines. The Lateranese Canonics took over in 1476, who at the beginning of the sixteenth century promoted the reconstruction of the church in its present forms. The interior of the 14th century church was made up of three naves. The two sides took light from the windows removed in time and from the small rose window of the façade. The restoration of the church in Renaissance forms largely belongs to the architect Bergamasco Pietro Isabello of Brenta called Abano and also Cleri, who perhaps intervened on a project of unknown author of a little earlier. In 1512 the right central chapel was built, and in order to see the chapels on the left side we have to wait for the years 1558-1560, when the site manager was Paolo Berlendis. Four of the side chapels were built with the contribution of families living along the way, the Cassotti Mazzoleni, the Gozzi, the Angelini and the Tasso, who owned these of the chapel of St. Peter and Paul. The two tamponed windows still visible on the façade are six hundred and six and were part of a project by Paolo Berlendis. The work remained unfinished and only two centuries later, around 1720, the architect Giovan Battista Caniana removed the columns of the nineteenth-century naves and made the barrel vault while the façade was crude. In 1972 the facade was enriched by the great sculpture Descent of the Holy Spirit by Francesco Somaini. The church has a single rectangular planar column with sandstone columns decorated with sculpted reliefs and has five chapels per side. The columns that separate them support the eighteenth-century barrel vault divided into lacunari. The design is simple, but with great lines. The columns on high pedestals are of composite order, some grooves, others decorated with friezes and garlands, and carry a simple but imposing trabeation. Right and left of the capitals are round with bushes of high-relief saints. Inside the side chapels there is a remarkable gallery with important masterpieces of the first sixteenth century. In particular, they stand out: The Madonna on the throne with the Child and four saints: Catherine of Alexandria, Agostino, Sebastiano and Antonio Abate realized by Lorenzo Lotto in 1521, oil on a signed and dated table (Lotus 1521) masterpiece of the maturity of the artist. The eight-member polyptych of Ambrogio da Fossano called the Bergognone placed on the altar of the second chapel to the left and carried them after he composed the main altar with the Holy Spirit descent on the Madonna and the Apostles. The polyptych on table in ten compartments depicting the Madonna and the Saints realized by Andrea Previtali and Agostino Facheris his pupil. The side of Andrea Previtali with St. John the Baptist and other Saints in the first chapel to the left.