Piazza Broletto is one of the main squares of Mantua, located in the historic center, between Piazza Sordello and Piazza delle Erbe. The square, at communal times, was the center of public life. On the south side stands the Broletto Palace, built in 1227 by Laudarengo Martinengo, the city's capital. On the facade is the 13th-century statue depicting Virgil in the chair, called the old dialect. At the corner stands the civic tower and in the center of the square the nineteenth-century dolphin fountain. On the south side is the 14th-century Palace of the Massaro, in which there are important frescoes of the fifteenth century of the Pisanello school.