Tourist Attraction in Pavia: Basilica di San Teodoro
The basilica of San Teodoro is a late Romanesque church located in the historical center of Pavia. Dating back to the 12th century, the original appearance was restored with restorations carried out on the turn of the 20th century. It houses cycles of frescoes representing the stories of St. Agnes and Saint Theodore and two important frescoes attributed to Bernardino Lanzani with views of Pavia from the 16th century. The basilica was built on a former high medieval church dedicated to St. Agnes. Subsequently the basilica, after the remains had been transferred, was dedicated to Saint Theodore. The church stands on a natural terracing sloping towards Ticino in an area of the town that was once inhabited by fishermen, boatmen and merchants carrying out their activities along the river. It is likely that the corporate associations of these crafts have had a decisive part in the construction of the church devoted to the saint who was patron saint and who was bishop of Pavia in the middle of the eighth century, in the period of transition from the Lombardian to the Carolingian domination The church was built in the middle of the twelfth century and was restructured in 1510 and 1692-1693. It was finally restored to its original forms with the restorations of 1887 and 1904-1909. The church is made up of three naves, each with three bushes, with the transept just mentioned. The central nave is wide double the lateral ones. Above the transept is placed the tibetum, subdivided into a lower part, consisting of a gallery of arches on columns, and a smaller upper. All is overlaid by a sixteenth-century lantern. The eastern part consists of three apses with the recurring motif of the archetypal gallery. On the south side, the sacristy and the belfry of the middle of the 16th century are arranged. During the restoration of the façade, the hood profile was restored, the upper gallery and a trifora which took the place of the sixteenth-century rosette. On the facade there are numerous ceramic basins present also in other Romanesque Pavese churches, such as St. Peter's Basilica in the Golden Temple. The interior is three naves. The presbytery was raised on the crypt dating to the 13th century. In the southern transept, the Stories of Sant'Agnese, frescoed by an unknown artist from the beginning of the sixteenth century, are frescoed.