Tourist Attraction in Bruges: Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk
The Church of Our Lady, Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk is a Catholic parish church in Bruges, The tower measures 122 meters high and is the highest of Belgium after that of the Cathedral of Antwerp. You can admire Michelangelo's marble sculpture of Our Lady and Child. There is the mausoleum of Mary of Burgundy and Charles the Temerario, as well as the Madonna of the Seven Sorrows, masterpiece by Adriaen Isenbrant. The church is one of the oldest praying places in the city. The first building erected in this place was a caroling chapel dating back to about 875. However, in the archives of the church the foundation of the chapel dates back to 741 and attributed to San Bonifacio, but this statement is doubtful. The chapel was dependent on the church of San Martino in Sijsele, suburb of Damme, which in turn was in the possession of the Utrecht Cathedral. In 1116 the chapel became a parish independent of Sijsele and presumably the building was then rebuilt and expanded under Charles the Good. The present church was built on several occasions since 1210. The oldest part is the piedicroce, initially with three aisles on beam pillars, erected in Tournai stone in the typical Gothic style of Schelda. The same style is also recognizable in the façade, lined with two characteristics of scalar towers and the use of blue stone. The choir and the apse were elevated between 1270 and 1280 in classical French Gothic style, but entirely in brick. In 1334 and 1370 the northern side nave was added, in 1450 and 1474 the southern one. Around 1465, Paradijs Portalal, the Portale del Paradiso, was built in the Gothic style of Brabant. The bell tower is the tallest building in Bruges. The first tower collapsed in 1163 and was rebuilt in bricks between 1270 and 1340; The spire was added only in 1549. The church was until the end of the Ancien Régime a collegiate church with a deputy and a chapter of canons. He later became a decanal church. The interior of the church encloses a large number of important works of art, pulpit and scaffolding, baroque, eighteenth century, wooden stalls of the choir, 1770. Statues of the Apostles, clinging to the pillars of the central nave, of 1618. Plates with coats of arms of 30 1468. Transfiguration of Christ, Gerard David, 1520. Triptych of the Passion at the Great Altar, begun by Bernard van Orley and finished by Geeraert in 1561. Adoration of the Pastors, Pieter Pourbus, 1574. Crucifixion of Antoon van Dyck, 1626. Adoration of the Magi, Gerard Seghers, 1630. Bambin Gesù among Saints, by Gaspar de Crayer, 1662. Tomb of Mary of Burgundy, Copper Gothic, Brassellus oorum Pieter de Beckere, 1496-1502. Tomb of Charles the Temerary, copper renaissance, of the counter-clockwise Jacob Jonghelinck, 1558 and 1562.