The Municipal Palace (Dutch: Stadhuis) of Leuven, Belgium, rises on the Grote Markt Central, where the main monuments are located. It is one of the most important examples of public buildings in Europe, and one of the highest masterpieces of the Gothic style of Brabant. Today's building is the third town hall built in Leuven. The first was in a different location, in Oude Markt; the second one, already took up the current site and was made up of several built-up buildings but located in a more advanced alignment than the current town hall. In 1439 it was decided to gather all these municipal buildings behind a single facade. The project was entrusted to the then Architect of the City, Sulpitius Van Vorst, who presented an ambitious, more backward project leaving more space in the square and inspired by the Brussels City Hall, including even a Beffroi at the corner with Naamsestraat. Afterwards the project was resumed in 1448 by Matthijs de Layens, the latter can be defined as the true architect-maker of the Town Hall of Leuven. He greatly altered the project making it a Late Gothic relic. He imposed a symmetry, abandoned the Beffroi and added the crowning of the tall roof and the six octagonal turrets to the corners of the lateral bridges. In the nineteenth century, after centuries, it became necessary to put the hand to the building in order to restore it. The Town Hall has three floors extremely decorated with a rich sculptural Gothic trim. The series of perforated double and crossed windows are alternated by pairs of niches and brackets, also present on the towers. The shelves are finely carved with Scriptural Scenes where the theme of guilt and punishment often appears, a kind of didactic function addressed to both the people, who animated the underlying market a lot and to the judges who were called to carry out the city functions inside. The 236 statues placed inside the niches were added after 1850 with the restoration work of the nineteenth century. The characters are dressed in burgundy according to the use of the era of building the building. It became the Leuven Pantheon; where in the first two orders of the ground floor are depicted artists, wise men and known characters of the history of the city; on the first floor the statues symbolize the Communal Freedoms and the Saints patrons of the city parishes; on the second floor are the Counts of Leuven and the Dukes of Brabant; Finally on biblical towers Biblical characters are placed. At the center of the main façade, a large, balustrade staircase leads to two entrance doors adjacent to the statues of St. Peter on the left, and the Madonna with the child on the right, in relation to the Collegiate altar. Inside there are sumptuous halls of different epochs with important works of art, some of which were redecorated during Leopold II's visit to Leuven II in 1852. The most noteworthy are: the Hall of the Lost Passes, on the ground floor , conceived as a covered extension of the square in the foreground, and which assumed the market function covered for a long time. The ends of the oak beams were chiseled with the Old Testament Stories by the Willem Ards Bruxellese sculptor in 1448 and 1449. The so-called Gothic Hall, dating from 1467, is the most interesting environment of the building. The Bronze sculptor Willem Ards was also here in charge of decorating the ceiling beams. He sculpted Scenes of the New Testament, Life of Christ and of the Virgin. During the last decades of the nineteenth century the room was restored. He also took advantage of the restoration of a monumental chimney, and a series of 11 paintings were commissioned to the painter André Hennebicq of Tournai, who produced four large canvases with scenes from the History of Leuven and seven portraits of Sapienti cittadini.