The Mons Municipal Palace is located on the central Grand-Place. It is one of the city's most important monuments and a fine example of the Gothic style of Brabant. At the beginning of his municipal organization, the Mons robbers gathered in the Castle of the Counts of Hainaut. Towards the 13th century a first town hall called Maison de la Paix, located in Rue de Nimy, is mentioned. But other documents suggest that there were two Maison de la Paix, the latter being the latter, on the Grand Place. It is in 1323 that Count William of Hainaut gives permission to build the Maison de la Paix on the site of the present city hall. Named then Maison de Ville, it was built with a base of stones and bricks and a grating relief. This building underwent various changes throughout the 15th century, until in 1458 it was decided to build a new and larger building. Following the construction of the Santa Valdetrude Collegiate and the economic and demographic development of the city, the hellows decided to undertake the reconstruction of the Town Hall. The first stone was placed on March 8, 1459, but in 1477 the powder was found in the adjacent arsenal, damaging the building under construction. The yard is immediately resumed, appealing to the great architect Matthijs de Layens, already active in the city on the collegiate yard, and author of the monumental Leuven Town Hall. De Layens designed the design of a large flamboyant two-story gothic building. However, the lack of funds did not allow the construction of the second floor, which left the building unfinished. For a long time the palace had a temporary roof covering of a straw roof, which was replaced by a roof covering only in the sixteenth century. In the eighteenth century the roof was deeply modified when it saw the actual slate of slate and Tirou and Caffiaux added the classic lanternone between 1716 and 1718; which welcomes the ancient bell called Bancloque. dating to 1390, and transferred from the other Maison de la Paix.