Tourist Attraction in Dresden: Katholische Hofkirche
The cathedral of the Holy Trinity, also known as the Katholische Hofkirche, was designed by the Italian architect Gaetano Chiaveri. It is located in the Altstadt, in the center of Dresden, Saxony, and is the cathedral of the diocese of Dresden-Meiben. Originally a parish church, it was elevated to the cathedral of the diocese of Dresden-Meißen in 1964. Since 1980 it has the title of Kathedrale Sanctissimae Trinitatis (cathedral of the Holy Trinity). It is one of the symbols of Dresden. The church was commissioned by Prince Elector of Saxony and King of Poland Federico Augusto II and was built by the architect Gaetano Chiaveri between 1738 and 1751. The crypt is buried in the heart of the Polish king Augusto the Forte, the last king of Saxony and 49 other members of the Wettin family and their consorts, such as Princess Maria Carolina of Savoy, wife of Antonio of Saxony. The church was severely damaged during World War II and was restored in the 1980s. Dimensions of the cathedral are: Overall length 92 meters; Overall width 54 meters. Central Nave: 52.36 meters (length) for 17.56 meters (width) for 32.20 meters (height) Height of the bell tower: 86 meters. Surface area: 4800 square meters. The Baroque style building is characterized by a high tower facade exterior. There are 78 statues on the facade and balustrades, realized by Vicenza sculptor Lorenzo Mattielli, who also cared for the setting, and by the sculptors of Dresden Paul and Jakob Mayer. The Italian Jesuit, confessor of the real couple, Augusto III of Poland and Maria Giuseppa of Austria, Ignazio Guarini, contributed to their approach. Inside the central nave is surrounded by a deambulatory: Dresden was a Protestant city and the Catholic processional liturgies had to be held inside. Designed like Hofkirche (court church or palace chapel) is connected with the Residenzschloss (the palace) through a passage. The interior proportions resemble the almost coexist chapel of the Versailles palace, Robert de Cotte, but without the classicist influences, and the tower facade is inspired by that of the cathedral of San Giorgio in Modica. Runners. Silbermann Organ On the large cantor above the entrance there is the great cane organ, built from 1750 by Gottfried Silbermann and, to his death, by his students, and inaugurated in 1755. In 1944 the organ was housed in cloister of the Marienstern Abbey in Panschwitz-Kuckau, thus escaping certain destruction during the bombing of Dresden. On January 27, 1978, in honor of this instrument, a German stamp was issued by the German Democratic Republic. With mechanical transmission, the instrument has been repeatedly reworked and rebuilt and is still welcomed inside the rich original wooden case, by the German sculptor Johann Joseph Hackl. The organ has three keyboards of 51 notes each and a German pedal of 30 and the following phonetic arrangement.