Tourist Attraction in Aosta: Chiesa Collegiata dei Santi Pietro e Orso
The Collegiate Church of the Saints Peter and the Bear (in French, Collégiale des Saints Pierre et Ours) is a religious building in Aosta, northern Italy. It constitutes, together with the cathedral of Aosta, the most important testimony of the history of sacred art in Valle d'Aosta. A particular interest is the ancient Ottonian frescoes preserved between the roof and the roof of the central nave, and the cloister with its medieval capitals. Archaeological excavations have highlighted how, in the area occupied today by the church, there was a large extra-urban necropolis. The primitive church was in a single class bounded by a semicircular apse; It was completely rebuilt and enlarged in the 9th century, in the Carolingian era. In 989 a bell tower was added to the existing church. A further constructive intervention was the one promoted by bishop Anselm I who held the bishopric in Aosta between 994 and 1026. For his initiative the entire church was restored in the typical forms of Romanesque architecture divided In three aisles with wooden trusses enclosed to the east by as many semicircular apses. The chorus overwhelmed (as it is today) a crypt made up of two compartments: the western one contained some important burial grounds, the eastern one - intended for worship ceremonies - was divided into five navatels with three semi-circular absidioles arranged in radius. The "anselmy period" remain beyond the walls and pillars, the crypt and the frescoes. The impressive 44-meter Romanesque bell tower, erected on the church's churchyard in isolation, was erected in the 12th century as part of a defensive system consisting of a walled city and a second large tower. The lower part is the original one, formed by huge square boulders, the upper part probably dates back to the 13th century, while the clock was already in 1642. The construction of the Romanesque cloister dates back to the years immediately after 1133. The arches and vaults Of the cloister are the result of a rearrangement. The piazzetta is dominated by the imposing quadrangular Romanesque bell tower, with its lower part (that of the XII century) made up of huge square boulders, on the four upper floors respectively open three elegant overlapping trifore and a quadrifora with columns and capitals To groceries. The pyramidal cusp that overwhelms it is of the fifteenth century. The facade has the classic salient shape, which is, however, asymmetrical towards the north due to the ingeniousness of the old bell tower (made still visible by hanging arches and by the remains of a tamponed biforea) demolished in the 15th century. It is in late-gothic shape due to the ogive portal, surrounded by a large, brick-framed ghime, which in turn is surmounted by a pinnacle that almost reaches the top of the roof. A small bell tower and two additional cobblestone pinnacles, respectively placed on the top and roof extremities, further enhance vertical thrust. From the east side, the church shows the semicircular apse that closes the aisle and two square apses closing the lower aisles.