Tourist Attraction in Conca dei Marini: Grotta dello Smeraldo
The Emerald Grotto is a karst cavity partially invaded by the sea in the territory of the municipality of Conca dei Marini. It was discovered by the fisherman Luigi Buonocore in 1932. It measures 45 to 32 meters and is about 24 meters high, and has its name for emerald shades that takes water due to filtered sunlight through an undersea slit that connects it to the sea open. In very remote times, it was placed above the sea level, and in its interior, over time, numerous stalactites and stalagmites were created, which in some parts unite to form powerful columns over ten meters high; Only after a phenomenon of bradysmism the cave soil has lowered, causing it to sink underwater. There is a rare species of celendatus, Anemonactis mazely, which lives in places where there is no light. In 1956, on its backdrop, an undercook was set up, consisting of ceramic statues; Annually, during the Christmas season, a group of divers has bundles of flowers at the feet of Jesus Christ. The Emerald Grotto is accessible both by the sea and by the Strada Statale 163, from which you descend through an elevator.