The church of San Francesco d'Assisi is one of the main places of Catholic worship of Lucera, between the sixteenth and the eighteenth century, the church was at the center of the life of Friar Francesco Antonio Fasani. Born on 6 August 1681, he was a great preacher and in love with the Immaculate Virgin. The lover of the poor and the sufferers, known by the lucerins, was called and still today they call him Father Master. He set up a canteen for the poor, frequently asking for offers to the noble families of the time: Zunica, Nicastri, Ramamondi and Lombardi. He made Giacomo Colombo a statue of the Immaculate Virgin and one of St. Francis, who are still talking to the church today. On 15 April 1951 Pope Pius XII raised Father Francesco Antonio Fasani to the honors of the altars, announcing him blessed. The venerated body of the friar was resurrected by the old buried waxed and laid under the altar of St. Francis Church. The little house of Torretta, which gave birth to Father Maestro, was given by the heirs of Tandoja to the bishop of Lucera. Turned into a small oratory, he soon became half devoted pilgrims. In its press, the way to the Blessed One was inaugurated. The façade of the church features a Romanesque hut with a gothic portal on which the Angioino emblem stands out. All this is surmounted by a sixteen red rose rosette rebuilt in 1943. The interior of the sanctuary is one large, very large nave, with a wooden ceiling trimmed by four ogival palms; high traces of eighteenth-century frescoes recount episodes of the life of St. Francis of Assisi. On the sides there are five 18th-century altars in sandstone, which contain the wooden statues of St. Francis (1713) and the Immaculate Conception (1718), works by Giacomo Colombo; the Ecce Homo (1500, Jesus Crucifix (1600) and Sant'Antonio da Padova (1943). The pulpit consists of a noble sarcophagus of 1555. The apse is separated from the aisle by a triumphal arc of 18 meters in stone tiburtine, with pentagonal planes, is illuminated by three Gothic windows, decorated with frescoes that reflect the narrative theme of the Passion. Under the right window, a floral gothic biforeal is the cornerstone of an Annunciation of 1300. In the center of the " abside under an altar of 1942, in a bronze urn, the body of Saint Francis Antonio Fasani is preserved and worshiped. The sanctuary includes two canvases of Neapolitan school of the eighteenth century by Girolamo Gennatempo depicting San Gennaro, with its sides Bonaventura and Santa Chiara, and the Madonna of Providence, at the foot of St. Elizabeth of Hungary and Saint Roba da Viterbo. Other two canvases depict the miracles attributed to St. Francis Antonio Fasani to proceed to his beatification and on canvas depicting its glorification. In a glass cabinet they keep their worn out clothes and the cymbals he wore to make penance. Through a portico adjacent to the left wall you arrive at the chapel of the Addolorata where, in addition to the statues of the Dead Christ and the Sorrowful Virgin, the wooden statue of Saint Francis Antonio Fasani (1951) and a canvas depicting the Deposition from the Cross, dated to the end of 500 and the beginning of 600. Other canvases are spoken in the sacristy and in the Fasani Hall. Connected to the sanctuary is the monastery of the Friars Minor Convent, where the cell of Saint Francis Antonio Fasani can be visited. In 2001 it was declared a diocesan sanctuary of St. Francis Antonio Fasani, where every year thousands of devotees walk at the foot of the altar to honor the body of the Master Father. In 2008, the Sanctuary was declared a Monument to Witness of a Peace Culture. In November 2008, the sanctuary was declared Monument Witness, a UNESCO Peace Culture, and May 2012 was elevated to the dignity of the Lower Basilica.