Rouen's Palace of Justice is one of the best examples of Gothic-Flemish architecture and an absolute masterpiece of civilian architecture of the time. Its construction began in 1499 as the seat of the old Normandy Parliament. It was declared a historic monument by the French government in 1840. On March 3, 1494, the city council decided to erect a public meeting room for merchants' meetings in view of the construction of the new market square. The building was built by the architects Roger Ango and Roulland le Roux between 1499 and 1508. With the elevation by King Louis XII of the ancient Échiquier de Normandie (less kind of antique parliament established by Rollone, the first Duke of Normandy , at the beginning of the 10th century) at the Normandy Parliament in 1499, the palace became the seat of the prestigious new institution. From 1509 to 1550 they undertook extensive expansion works in a mixed style of Gothic-Flemish and Renaissance elements, they will be funded by the King so that the new part will be called Palais Royal. It will be then that Cour d'Honneur will be added from the rich facades. The courtyard is closed on three sides: on the left is the first building where at this time it sees the attachment of a new wing, the center, the most retracted and decorated, and to the right a neo-gothic part rebuilt in 1844. The central body along the well 66 meters, has a level of lowered arches where the first floor opens from elegant Renaissance-style crisper windows; Above, a rich Flemish fortune is formed, formed by an exaggerated sequence of arches, cusps, dormers, pinnacles, statues and dances. At the center lies a hexagonal tower with beautiful triphors and conical cover. The west facade with the Clock Tower on the rue Jeanne d'Arc is rebuilt in classical style in 1740 by Pierre Jary, but between 1880 and 1885 it was rebuilt by the architect Lucien Lefort in neo-gothic style to reunite it with the original style of the palace. Lefort will also add the portal with the staircase on the right side of the court, then replaced by the current one several months later by Antonin Selmersheim. Already in 1840 the Rouen Palace of Justice was added by the French government in the classification as a National Historic Monument. In 1944, during the Second World War, the heavy bombings of April 19 and August 26 saw the almost total destruction of the interior of the Palace of Justice, only the façades, the neo-gothic wing and the Court of Assise Hall , from the precious golden coffered ceiling.