Tourist Attraction in Arras: Beffroi de l'Hôtel de Ville d'Arras
The Arras Town Hall, located in the monumental Place des Héros, is the historic seat of the French town of Arras, the ancient capital of Artois, and today in the North-Pas-de-Calais region. Calais. It represents a fine example of civilian Gothic architecture in France, which has earned it a classification at the Historic Monument of France since 1840 for Beffroi, and from July 17, 1921 for the municipal building. His Beffroi allowed him, in 2005, to enroll in the list of Bells of Belgium and France of the World Heritage Site promoted by UNESCO. The building was built from 1463 in Gothic style with imposing facade on the porch, an order of large windows on the first floor, and roof to strong sloping openings from numerous dormitories. In the 16th century the civic tower in the flamboyant Gothic style was added, followed by the rear, Renaissance, U-shaped, and large, crossed windows. The building complex was restored in the 19th century by M. Mayeur and inaugurated on August 26, 1867 in the presence of Napoleon III. During the First World War, German artillery busted the town hall on October 7, 1915, and the 21 destroyed the Beffroi. Later they were faithfully reconstructed one identique by the chief architect of historical monuments Pierre Paquet. The municipal building was given the appearance it had at the beginning of its construction, before the visit of Louis XIV of France, also eliminating the nineteenth-century transformations. Between 1930 and 1932, the painter Charles Constantin Joseph Hoffbauer realized the great canvas of 50 meters on the wall of the Salle d'Honneur on the first floor. Arras's Scenes of Life in the 16th Century, in a historical style inspired by ancient works, including Brueghel. High 77 meters is Arras Civic Tower, built between the XV and XVI century on the site occupied by the Halles aux Draps, the Fabric Market. Set in a flamboyant Gothic style, it is inspired by the Beudrode of Oudenaarde and the Brussels Inimitable Tour. The building consists of a square tower and three octagonal tapered levels. A crown in stone added in the 16th century by Jacques Le Caron during the visit of Emperor Carlo V in the city. On top of the Beffroi dominates the two-meter high two-meter gold lion, which was installed under Louis XIV, the emblem of the Sun. The original, restored by the damage of the war, is exhibited at the Musée des Beaux-arts. The Beffroi hosts a chime of 38 bells.