Saint Peter's Church, in the French église Saint-Pierre, is one of the main religious buildings and historic monuments in the city of Caen. The masterpiece of Gothic architecture according to its flaming variant blends wonderfully, on the outside of the apse, with fine Renaissance elements. Since 1840 it has been classified as a historic monument by the French State. Named otherwise in the course of the centuries: Saint-Pierre de Rémy, Saint Pierre du Châtel, Saint Pierre de Rémy, this church, often dubbed Caen's cathedral, was the largest religious building in the city; so he was always paying close attention to his construction and decoration. It rises in the center of the medieval town, between the castle and the port on the Odeon, on the site of a former XI and XII century Romanesque church. The present parish church was built between the 13th and the 16th centuries, a symbol of the wealth of the Caen merchants. The long construction work has conferred on the church its main feature, namely to present and equilibrate different architectural styles ranging from the radiant Gothic to the flaming Gothic to the Renaissance. While interwoven with different styles, the structure maintains a harmonious overall unity, which still offers wonderful architectural effects today. The first yard ends in 1308, is a three-nave structure with flat apse with. After the construction of the splendid Gothic tower in 1317, it is immediately considered as the King of Normandy belltowers, the prototype that will affect the other towers of the region and northwestern cities. For example, the bell tower of Our Lady of Kreisker in Saint-Pol de Léon, for example, is inspired by the tower of St. Peter. In 1384, it was handed to the main portal and, with its two centuries, the façade was equipped with a light, very large rosette, still radiant but already with fiery flare inflections. In 1410 he put himself in hand with the piedicroce in flamboyant Gothic style. Between 1518 and 1545, the city architect Hector Sohier undertook the construction of the choral choir with radial chapels, replacing that of the 13th-century dish, planting it partly on wooden poles on the shore of the Odon. It begins with the reconstruction of the vault of the final half of the church and the addition of the radial chapels. They feature a sumptuous flamboyant decoration given by the elaborate Gothic vaults of the fantastic pendant keys. In 1521 and 1525 the work was almost finished, Sohier then handed over to external decoration, giving the church its most spectacular part, consisting of the characteristic octagonal tibor on the apse chapel, a pinnacles-candelabra tree, traforated balustrades and reliefs in an exquisite Renaissance style. Combining harmoniously with the rest of the building, it will be the best example of the Early Renaissance in Caen. A few decades after the end of the work, during the wars of French religion, Protestants entered the church depading and destroying jubé, statues, stained glass and the ancient organ. St. Peter, though not a cathedral, was still the city's main church; It is here that the main city public ceremonies take place, so when Henry IV abused Protestantism, ending the religious wars, this building was sung in the Te Deum in the presence of the civil and religious representatives of the city. In 1608 the porch was restored under the tower. In 1793-95 the church of St. Peter was transformed into the Temple of Reason. At the end of the 1850s, the northwestern column of the bell tower was threatened by landslides. Architect Guy will be in charge of consolidation. It was the historic parish church of the city until 1975. Today it is part of the parish of Saint Trinity.